Sunday, April 10, 2016

a letter from an Arab to a Jew who supports BDS: Article Response

As a member of Am Yisrael, I find myself only looking at the issues Israel is facing as a Jew. This article opened my eyes and allowed me to explore Israels' issues through the oppositions perspective. As an Arab who supports Jewish nationalism, the writer understands that they will get more out of the binational state solution than Israelis. This struck me because when discussing this topic in class, I always try to look at the positive side and often struggle. There is such a huge power struggle in Israel because from the Jewish perspective, Israel is supposed to be a Jewish State. By giving in to BDS Israel may lose its Jewish majority, while Arabs will gain a state to feel safe in once again. This solution greatly helps the Arabs, but I have yet to hear an Arab talk about their appreciation for the solution until now. This article also raises a crucial question, how much is too much to give up? The Jewish people have gone through extraordinary measures to create Eretz Yisrael, and I don’t think we should be forced to give up the only Jewish state to appeal to Arabs. Just as we talked about in class, is it out of the ordinary to have Am French without France, just like it should not be questioned to have Am Yisrael with out Israel. Although I don’t agree with the BDS movement, I agree with the point this article makes. It is of the upmost importance to be for ones own people, whether Israeli or Arab, than to be against them. Even if we don’t agree with every decision Israel makes as a whole, rooting for our competitor makes us just as bad as the ideology we do not believe in. I believe rather than hurting one nation, we should either root for it, or just leave it alone. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you highlighted how the Arab who wrote this article appreciated the solution, something we have not learned about yet. I do find light in the way that this article emphasizes Eretz Yisrael's establishment, but I found something else about this article that is even more crucial about the Jewish people. BDS' immorality and anti-Semitic behavior makes it that much more appalling that a Jew could ever support its motives. In your last sentence, I'm not sure who you're talking about as a people (the world, or just Jews), but I disagree. I think that leaving a nation alone is hindering, as much as hurting it would be. It is important that we encourage all Jews to root for Israel! I respect your viewpoint though and definitely advocate for peace between nations rather than violence.

    ReplyDelete