Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Being a Member of Am Yisrael (The people of Israel)

What does it mean to me to be a member of Am Yisrael? This is a question I have discussed in my Jewish History class possibly every did since arriving in the holy land and I am yet to come up with a clear and concise answer. It is hard to answer this question because there is no right answer, there are only ideas, beliefs, and opinions. To me being a member of Am Yisrael means identifying as Jewish and positively contributing to the Jewish community. This can mean many things such as going to services on Shabbat or High Holiday’s, celebrating Jewish Holiday’s, learning about the Holocaust and Jewish History, following Jewish Law and much, much, much more. Being a member of Am Yisrael can mean doing one, some, or all of these things plus more. I think just calling oneself Jewish does not make them a member of Am Yisrael, it is important to actually contribute to Jewish society in any way shape or form to be a part of Am Yisrael. I think living in Israel and being a zionist are great ways to be a part of Am Yisrael because just by living in Israel helps to grow the Jewish people and culture. I also think to be a member of Am Yisrael, we as a society need to be the best people we can possibly be. This can mean doing Tikun O’lam, charity, helping the poor or sick, or just genuinely being a nice person. I think these are all important qualities that a member of Am Yisrael should have. There are many different things a person can do to be a member of Am Yisrael and that’s why I think I will never have a clear answer to this question. But, I think that as long as I continue to explore my Jewish Identity I will continue to be a member of Am Yisrael. 

No comments:

Post a Comment