Thursday, May 5, 2016

Jewish Community in the Best City Ever (Los Angeles)

I am extremely fortunate to live in a city with a promenade Jewish community. Growing up in Los  Angeles, California there was always a large Jewish presence in my life whether from my home community or outside influences. Right now in Los Angeles, there are multiple upcoming events through various Jewish organizations including the Los Angeles Jewish Abilities Center, The Jewish Federation, The Los Angeles JCC and more. One of the upcoming events through the Jewish Federation is to observe Yom Ha’shoah. I was happily surprised to see this event and to find out Israeli and American Jews are celebrating the same days within their own communities. While there are many different Jewish organizations in Los Angeles, there are also popular news sources such as the Jewish Journal. This is a resource I know my parents constantly read and my temple has available to congregants. This News source has topics more general and possibly relevant to the general public while also having strong Jewish articles. The current trending headlines include, “trump: Israeli-Palestinian peace deal can be made”, “Real Housewives of New York City Week 4 Recap,” and “Ex-mayor of London suspended from Labour for saying Hitler was Zionist.” This journal is a super cool news source because not only does it have important Jewish news, but it also has news relevant to Los Angeles and American jews. I know I will be able to come home to a strong Jewish community and will be able to find Jewish current events wherever I go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment